Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day. Whose Day?

Mummy had a call from home today, from someone with whom she has a long and complex history of about 30 years. He called to say Happy Mother's Day. She wasn't available to take the call (sleeping) but my sister later relayed the message that he had called. Her response was the standard, "Where is he?" I now know that her whole sense of place is completely topsy turvy, so this response isn't really a surprising anymore. More than that though, I'm starting to think that this response is a delaying tactic as she tries to pull up some memories related to the name. The next part of her response gave me pause and I'm still in "pause" mode. Finally she admitted that she could remember the name, but not his face. This is big.

I know that this is the way of things, but I have to admit that I'm really hoping that tomorrow, if I mention his name, she'll be able to remember his face. I'm thinking it may be time to start whipping out the pictures and going through a daily exercise of talking about the people in those pictures.

One more thing lost, hopefully to return tomorrow. Or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment