Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Forward into tomorrow

Yesterday and the day before, Barbara was gone. Completely gone. Empty eyes, vacant looks, hollow, completely unable to do for herself. Today, she's back. the woman I loved (and feared), the imperfect mother returned this morning. As grateful as I am for a semblance of normality today, I am well aware that tomorrow could go either way.

Taking up residence in a place of 'not my will', a place of complete relaxation with life as you find it, has significant benefits. I don't have to like it when she's vacant, but at least when I accept that this is how things go, I can just go with it. As the Desiderata says (that piece of it that most people don't know), "taking this [sic] world, as it is, not as I would have it". This approach has definite benefits and this approach is crucial to surviving the AD onslaught.

And so, forward into tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment