Thursday, September 20, 2012

Spidey

The hardest thing about the way my brain works, is that I tend to see things others don't or can't. Case in point: 14 yrs ago, I suggested to my family that a savings vehicle to prepare for longterm care for the senior generation was critical. Much to my surprise, the family concurred and the fund was created. It was imperfect but it's now been tapped several times in the intervening span of time for that very purpose.

Back in the day, when I was young and arrogant, I used to say that whatever I knew was the answer to the question posed (I should probably clarify that that was how I used to talk when I was an undergrad preparing for examinations. I could say and do that kind of thing because I was a Sociology major, so I could infer and draw conclusions to my heart's content.)  Now that I'm older (and still arrogant, in case you were wondering), that's still my MO but these days I actually understand what it means. My gift, for want of a better word, is the ability to draw together disparate bits of information into a coherent whole and on the basis of that new whole, make decisions. Good ones. The trouble is, when others don't see what you do, you spend a lot of time and energy trying to convince them that you're right. Except for the level of professional success projected at the end of my MBA, I ain't been wrong yet, but this either means I'm due for another major miscalculation or that my process works.....but I may still be due for a major miscalculation. The question now is: where do I find an adviser who challenges my underlying assumptions and helps me ensure that I'm not doing the wrong thing?

When Spidey's 'Spidey-sense' tingled, who did he check with? Anybody? Nobody? Did he just rush off and do his thing? How much trouble did he get in to?

My Liesl-sense is tingling but there's more at stake than just my track record or my pride and there are serious unknowns/unmanageables in the equation, like other minds with other views. sigh. I weary myself. Why don't I just mind my own business and leave the rest alone? Eh? Why?

Yes, this is related to care giving. It's clear (to me, at any rate) that we've reached what's called a 'strategic inflection point' where things must change dramatically if any further success is to be had. Oh for an "Easy" button or six lottery numbers to make things a wee bit easier.



Here's a little reference material if you should be inclined to read about strategic inflection points:
http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archive/speeches/ag080998.htm
http://www.lagerweij.com/2012/05/14/the-strategic-inflection-point-as-a-special-case-pivot/

No comments:

Post a Comment